How to obey orders prohibiting firearms and ammunition

If you have or own any firearms (guns), firearm parts, or ammunition, you must complete the steps below.  If you don't own any, do not try to get or buy any until the orders against you end 

If you do not follow the orders, you could be arrested and charged with a state or federal crime.

Before you start

You will need a copy of the restraining order. It should be on one of these forms:

  • Form DV-110,
  • Form DV-130 or  
  • Form DV-730
  • Decide what you want to do with your firearms and ammunition

    If you have or own firearms, firearm parts, or ammunition, you must do one of the following within 24 hours of being served with the restraining order: 

    • Turn your firearms, firearm parts, or ammunition over to local police  

    • Sell your firearms to a licensed gun dealer 

    • Transfer your ammunition to a licensed ammunition vendor 

    • Store your firearms with police or licensed gun dealer (you will likely have to pay a fee for storage)

    • What firearm parts do I need to turn in? 

      You must turn in any firearm receiver or frame. This includes any item that can be used or easily turned into a firearm receiver or frame.  


    If you do not do so within 24 hours you could be arrested for violating the restraining order or charged with a state or federal crime.



    The judge can grant you an exception that would allow you to carry a specific firearm or ammunition for work purposes only. Right now you must follow the orders the judge made. You can ask the judge for an exception at your court date. You should talk with a lawyer, or get more information from your local Self-Help Center about this exception.
  • Have police or licensed gun dealer complete required form

    A person filling out a form.

    You must prove to the judge that you turned in, sold, or stored all firearms, firearm parts, and ammunition you own or have.  

    To do this, print out a form called Receipt for Firearms, Firearm Parts, and Ammunition (form DV-800). 

    • You fill out items 1, 2,7, and the case number.
    • Law enforcement or a licensed gun dealer needs to complete the rest of the form


    • You can attach their form to DV-800. Still have them fill out and sign form DV-800 (item 4 for law enforcement and item 5 for licensed gun dealers). 

  • File the form with the court clerk

    a member of the public showing documents to a court clerk

    Once the form is complete, make a copy and file it with the court clerk right away. It must be filed within 48 hours from when you were served with the restraining order. There is no fee to file this form.

    You can file your form at the courthouse listed on the court papers that you got from the other side (example: look at page 1 on form DV-109).

    At the courthouse, you’ll file the forms by giving the original and your copy to the court clerk. The clerk will keep the original, stamp your copy, and return the copy to you for your records.

success alert banner:

Have a question about DVRO?

Look for a "Chat Now" button in the right bottom corner of your screen. If you don’t see it, disable any pop-up/ad blockers on your browser.